General Municipal Elections
The City's next consolidated municipal election is November 6, 2018.
Per Ordinance No. 16-941 adopted by the La Puente City Council on September 13, 2016, the City's municipal elections will be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in even numbered years and will be consolidated with the County of Los Angeles.
Register to Vote
Need to register to vote or make changes to your current registration (such as address or name changes)? Register online by visiting the County's website. Voter registration forms are also available at all City facilities.
Other useful election information can be found on the California Secretary of State's website.
Qualifications for Public Office
In order to be eligible to hold elective office in the City of La Puente, a candidate must be:
- A citizen of the United States;
- A registered City of La Puente voter at the time nomination papers are issued; and
- 18 years of age or older.
Political signs may be placed on private property with the consent of the owner. La Puente Municipal Code section 10.34.080E sets forth the regulations regarding the placement and removal of political signs, otherwise referred to as “Non-Commercial Signs”:
- Non-commercial signs shall be permitted in all zones in the city.
- Non-commercial signs shall not be posted in or on any of the following:
- The public right of way.
- Utility poles.
- Street lights.
- Within five feet of the curb face or edge of street for properties that do not abut a sidewalk.
- Any other location prohibited under any federal, state or local law, rule or regulation.
- Non-commercial signs shall be removed within ten (10) calendar days after the date of the event for which the sign was erected.
The City will enforce all sign regulations. Any signs that are placed in violation of State or local codes will be removed immediately and will be stored. Candidates will be notified of the removal and will have ten (10) business days to retrieve their signs before they are destroyed.